Ingredients for about 30 fish balls:
For the broth:
- 2 fish heads
- 2 garlic cloves skin on
- 1 piece of ginger skin on
- 1 shallot skin on
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 pinch of ajinomoto (if you do not have it or do not want to put it, is good too)
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 2 liters of water
- 1 packet of watercress (optional)
For the fish balls:
- 700 g of fish fillet a little firm (sea bream, parrot, cateau, etc)
- 1/2 teaspoon of white pepper corn
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of cornflour
- 1 1/2 liters of salty water (1 1/2 liters of water + 5 tablespoons of salt)
- 2 stems of spring onions chopped
We start by making the broth. In a large saucepan heat the oil. With your knife mash the cloves of garlic leaving the skin on. Cut the ginger into pieces and cut in four the shallot, leaving a piece of skin. Brown the garlic, ginger and shallot for 1 minute. Add the fish heads and cook for 2 minutes on each side covered. Add water, salt and ajinomoto. Mix and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for one hour under cover. Once the broth is ready, filter and reserve.
In the meantime we make the fish balls. Cut the fish fillets in pieces. Mix them in the mixer with 6 teaspoons of salty water. Transfer the fish paste to a bowl. In a mortar mash salt and white pepper corns together. Add to the fish paste, salt, pepper and cornflour. Mix well.
Start making the fish balls by moistening your hands. Make the fish balls and put them in the bowl of salty water. Leave in salty water for 20 minutes then remove and reserve.
Boil the fish broth that you have reserved and at the first boil put the fish balls to cook. Cover and cook on medium heat for 20 minutes. Once the 20 minutes are over put out the fire, add the watercress cover and let stand for 3 minutes it is ready.
You can also cook your fish balls in a steamer. Place your fish balls in a steamer basket, and place the basket on your boiling pan. Cover and cook for 20 minutes it’s ready.
Enjoy your fish balls in soup or salad decorated with spring onions and accompanied by chilli paste.